2.5 lb. Tilapia pieces
Salt to taste
2 medium onions, quartered
2 Tbsp. ginger paste
1 tsp. garlic paste
1 tsp. white pepper powder
1 (6 oz.) tub Greek yogurt
1 onion, peeled and sliced
4 pods garlic, peeled and sliced
1 cinnamon stick
½ tsp. Shah Jeera or cumin seeds
10 black peppercorns
2 large (black) cardamom
2 Tbsp. Shan Pilao/Biryani Mix
3 dried red chilies, deseeded and soaked in water
2-3 jalapeno peppers, sliced in rounds
1 tsp. ghee
¼ tsp. sugar
Grind garam masala powder:
1 star anise
4 cardamom pods
1. Blanch quartered onions in 1 cup water, drain (reserving liquid) and puree in a blender.
2. Mix yogurt with white pepper powder, onion-ginger-garlic pastes and ½ the sliced jalapeno peppers.
3. Marinate fish pieces in 1 Tbsp. oil, salt and yogurt mixture for an hour.
4. Keep the liquid in which onions were blanched on a simmer, and add peppercorns, black cardamom and Shan biryani mix.
5. Heat oil in a pan over high heat and sizzle cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, and half the garam masala powder.
6. Stir in the onion and garlic slices.
7. When the onions turn translucent, lower heat to medium-low and add fish pieces along with all the marinade.
8. Strain the simmering liquid and soaked red chilies over the fish, stir gently, cover and simmer on medium-low heat until oil resurfaces.
9. Adjust salt to taste, add sugar and stir.
10. Remove from heat and garnish with ghee, remaining garam masala powder and sliced hot peppers.