Ready made meatballs work just as well as homemade meatballs. All kinds of meatballs are available in the grocery stores these days - chicken, beef & pork, turkey - except lamb or mutton which need to be made from scratch. Just make sure to use regular meatballs as opposed to flavored, such as Italian or Teriyaki meatballs.
25-30 frozen cocktail meatballs
1 russet potato, cubed
2 onions, quartered
1 tsp. garlic paste
1 tsp. ginger paste
2 tsp. tomato paste
2 green chilies
1/4 tsp. cumin seeds (jeera or Shah jeera)
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
salt to taste
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Blanch onions in one cup boiling water, strain and set water aside.
- Puree onions, garlic, ginger, tomato paste and green chilies.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, brown meatballs and set aside.
- In the same hot oil, brown the potatoes and set aside.
- In the same hot oil sputter cumin seeds, cinnamon and star anise.
- Add pureed onions and season with salt to taste.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer gravy until oil resurfaces.
- Add reserved hot water, bring to boil and add meatballs & potatoes.
- Simmer on low heat until potatoes are cooked.