Bone-in leg of baby lamb works best for this recipe and purchasing from a halal meat store ensures tenderness and good quality meat. I ask the butcher to cut the leg into pieces suitable for stewing and to pack it in 3-4 separate portions. That cuts down on work once I get it home, so all I have to do is freeze it until ready to be cooked.
- Marinate lamb in next 7 ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Take lamb out of the fridge and bring to room temperature.
- Heat pressure cooker over medium-high heat and add oil.
- When oil is hot, sputter next 4 ingredients until aromatic.
- Stir-fry onions until translucent and add lamb.
- Stir well and simmer until juices are released.
- Cover pressure cooker & bring to full pressure.
- Simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes & remove from heat.
- Allow pressure to dissipate completely before removing cover.
- Add potatoes, stir well and place over medium-low heat.
- Simmer for half an hour or until potatoes are tender.
- Adjust salt to taste and stir in garam masala.
- Serve with Indian bread or steamed Basmati rice.