1-1/2 cups red lentils, washed until water runs clear
1/2 lb. green beans, sliced into small rounds
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium or 12 plum tomatoes
salt to taste
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. panch phoron (Bengali five spice)
1 tsp. ghee
- Wash and soak lentils for 1/2 an hour.
- Cook over medium heat until lentils disintegrate.
- Heat oil over high heat and sputter panch phoron.
- Fry onions and garlic until onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook until they break down.
- Turn heat to medium, add green beans and cook until tender.
- Add cooked lentils, adjust salt to taste, stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with ghee and cilantro and serve with cooked rice or tortillas.