This is a variation of Jhinge Chingri Posto. Jhinge is ridge gourd which is not readily available in the U.S. Zucchini and Chayote Squash are similar in taste, so I've substituted zucchini for the ridge gourd today.
7-10 medium zucchini, peeled and cubed
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 Tbsp. white poppy seeds, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes
1 Tbsp. ginger paste
1/4 tsp. nigella or kalonji or kalo jeera seeds
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
salt to taste
1 tsp. ghee
- Boil a cup of water and soak poppy seeds for half an hour.
- Heat 1 Tbsp.oil, mix shrimp with salt, fry until it turns pink and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil over high heat and sputter nigella seeds.
- Add ginger paste and zucchini, stir and cook until tender.
- Blend poppy seeds along with water in which they were soaked.
- Adjust salt to taste in zucchini and add poppy seed paste.
- Stir and cook until most of the gravy has evaporated.
- Add shrimp, stir and cook for a minute or two and remove from heat.
- Garnish with ghee and serve with hot cooked rice.