- Purée onion, garlic and tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- If using fresh shrimp, stir-fry just until they turn pink and set aside.
- Fry puréed items, turmeric and paprika until oil resurfaces.
- Add vegetables, fish sauce and hot water.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until water evaporates.
- Stir shrimp into pan.
- Garnish with green chillies and cilantro.
- Serve over hot rice.
Saturday, November 03, 2012
Bottle Gourd with Shrimp
This is one of Mum's recipes and is the Burmese version of Lau Chingri. Bottle gourd is available in Indian grocery stores, but can be replaced with zucchini or chayote squash.
1 bottle gourd (lau), peeled and cubed
(or 4 chayote squash or 6 medium zucchini)
1 russet potato, peeled and cubed
18-20 peeled and deveined shrimp (or dried shrimp, soaked in water & diced)
1 medium onion, quartered
3 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
3 tomatoes, chopped
¼ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. turmeric
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 cup hot water
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 green chillies (jalapeno), sliced
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro