|Shredded Cabbage with Minced Meat & Peas|
1 lb. ground hot Italian sausage meat
1 cup frozen peas
2 large onions, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. ginger paste
1 large tomato, diced
3 green chilies, minced
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. panch phoron (Bengali 5-spice)
1 tsp. roasted panch phoron powder
1 tsp. Kashmiri mirch/paprika
1/2 tsp. Bengali garam masala powder
1 tsp. ghee
- Heat oil and sputter cinnamon stick, star anise, bay leaves and panch phoron.
- Add hot sausage meat, break up the lumps and brown.
- Toss onions into the pan along with minced garlic and ginger paste.
- Stir-fry until onions turn translucent, add tomatoes and chilies, cover and simmer until tomatoes soften.
- Add shredded cabbage to pan, season with salt & sugar to taste and stir well.
- Sprinkle roasted panch phoron powder and Kashmiri mirch over the cabbage.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until all liquid evaporates and cabbage turns golden brown.
- Pour peas into pan and stir again, sprinkle with garam masala and garnish with ghee.