Cheera or Poha is dehydrated and flattened rice flakes that is highly nutritious and lasts in the pantry for a long time.
1 cup cheera (poha), washed and squeezed dry
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1 green chili, deseeded and chopped
1 tsp. urad dal
1 tsp. chana dal
1 tsp. cashew nut pieces
1 tsp. raisins
1 Roma tomato, chopped
8-10 curry leaves
1 tsp. chopped ginger or ginger paste
1 cup chopped vegetables (cauliflower, carrot, peas, green pepper, potatoes/sweet potatoes)
Salt to taste
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 lime cut in 4 wedges
1 Tbsp. cilantro
- In a saucepan over high heat, sputter mustard seeds, chili, dals, cashews and raisins.
- Add onions, tomatoes, curry leaves, ginger and fry for 2 minutes until onions soften.
- Add vegetables and salt and cook until vegetables are cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Add cheera (poha) along with lime juice and mix well.
- Adjust salt and chilies to taste and heat through.
- Garnish with cilantro and ghee
- Remove from heat to a serving dish and serve with lime wedges.