Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Red Lentils with Mango and Eggplant
1-½ cups red lentils (masoor dal)
3 cups water
2 Oriental eggplants, cut in bite-size pieces and tossed with salt
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
½ tsp. black mustard seeds
2 dried red chilies
2 tsp. ginger paste
1 (3 oz.) pkg. dried unsweetened mango slices
or 1 green mango, peeled, deseeded and chopped
Salt to taste
1 tsp. ghee or melted butter
2–3 whole green chilies
1. Wash lentils until water runs clear.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat & add mustard & dried chilies.
3. When mustard seeds start to sizzle, add lentils, salt, mango and water.
4. Cover and cook on medium heat until lentils are tender.
5. Adjust salt to taste, add eggplant and ginger paste.
6. Cover and cook until eggplant pieces are cooked.
7. Garnish with ghee, cilantro and whole green chilies.
8. Transfer to a serving dish and serve with steamed rice or naan.