This dish was inspired by a couple of recipes posted on Facebook, but I modified it to suit my family's taste. I reduced the amount of Kashmiri mirch and added 2 Roma tomatoes instead and also added potatoes because of our love of meat and potatoes :)
I was tempted to cook this in the pressure cooker, but decided to take the traditional route and cook it long and slow on top of the stove. It took a total of 1-1/2 hours to cook.
- Wash lamb pieces and rub well with salt.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and temper with hing, cinnamon sticks, black cardamom and star anise.
- Add lamb pieces, fry until oil resurfaces, add tomatoes and again cook until oil resurfaces. This step should take about half an hour.
- Reduce heat to medium, stir in ginger, black pepper, Kashmiri mirch and cardamom powder.
- Stir well and add chicken broth and potatoes.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender for about an hour.
- Add fennel seed powder and garam masala, adjust salt and remove from heat.
- Serve with rice or naan.