|Chin Baung Kyaw|
|Roselle Leaves Gifted By A Friend|
My husband was trying this for the first time and since the tart flavor can be a bit overwhelming, I combined it with some spinach.
1 bundle roselle leaves, washed and chopped
1 (8 oz.) pkg. bamboo shoots, fresh or pickled and sliced
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined (optional for vegetarians)
6 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
8-10 cloves of garlic, diced
1 green chili, diced
1 large tomato, diced
1/2 tsp. shrimp paste/ngapi (optional for vegetarians)
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1 Tbsp. fish sauce (optional for vegetarians)
- Marinate shrimp in fish sauce and turmeric for 15 minutes and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and fry garlic, onions and chilies until onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and shrimp paste and stir-fry until tomatoes break down and oil resurfaces.
- Add roselle leaves and bamboo shoots, mix thoroughly and simmer over medium heat until roselle leaves are cooked and all liquid is absorbed.
- Add marinated shrimp and cook for another 5 minutes.