An adaptation of Rene's Deem Begun I, was made with Oriental eggplant which are long and slender. I peeled most the skin off because I didn't want it to be dark in colour. The skins were chopped up and added to the Shukto made on the same day. Also added green chillies to the mashed eggplants which was cooked until dry and started pulling away from the sides of the pan. It was delicious!
4-5 Oriental eggplants, partially peeled, diced & tossed with 1/2 tsp. salt
2 green chilies, diced
1 large onion, diced
1/2 tsp. coriander powder
1/4 tsp. cumin powder
1 Tbsp. ginger paste
salt to taste
2 eggs, well beaten
1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Heat 3 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat.
- Add coriander powder, followed by cumin powder and stir.
- Add green chilies & onions and stir-fry until onions turn translucent.
- Stir in ginger paste, followed by eggplants and cook until eggplants break down.
- Adjust salt to taste, mash everything in the pan and cook until oil resurfaces.
- Make a well in the center, fill with remaining oil and scramble the eggs.
- Stir eggs into mashed eggplants and continue cooking until it forms a ball and pulls away from the edges of the pan.
- Transfer to a serving dish, mounding it in the center.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with cooked rice or tortillas.