I concocted this dish one day when my husband brought home 4 huge eggplants from the market. I decided on 3 different preparations of eggplant, a salad, stir-fried eggplant & potatoes with lots of onions & tomatoes, and begun bhaja or pan-fried eggplant. In a hurry to get the cooking done, I thought the stir-fried dish would cook faster if I peeled the 2 eggplants, but I didn't want to throw the peels away and came up with this delicious dish. The peels were full of texture and so tasty when cooked with the anchovies.
Peels of 2 large eggplant, sliced thinly
6 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 large onions, peeled & sliced
6 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tsp. chili powder
1 (8 oz.) package dried anchovies
2 red chilies, diced
1 stalk green onions, sliced
salt to taste
- Heat oil over medium-high heat; fry chili powder, onions & garlic until translucent.
- Add dried anchovies & eggplant strips and stir well.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the peels and anchovies are cooked.
- Adjust salt to taste and garnish with chilies & green onions.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve with steamed Basmati rice.