Saturday, August 31, 2013
Chicken Keema Mattar - Ground Chicken with Peas and Potatoes
There are so many ways to prepare keema curry, but this one is really delicious because of the addition of Shan Pulao/Biryani mix, which is available in Indian grocery stores throughout the United States & Canada.
1 lb. ground chicken
2 russet potatoes, peeled & cubed
1 (6 oz.) tub Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp. ginger paste
1 Tbsp. garlic paste
2 large onions, diced
¼ pkg. Shan Pulao/Biryani mix
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
Salt to taste
2 cups hot chicken broth
3 Tbsp. deep fried onions
1 Tbsp. ghee
1. Stir ginger and garlic pastes into yogurt & set aside.
2. Heat oil over medium-high heat, brown potatoes, remove from pan & set aside.
3. In the same oil, fry onions until translucent and add ground chicken.
4. Stir-fry until chicken browns, then add yogurt and Pulao/Biryani mix.
5. Stir gently, cover & simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
6. Pour hot chicken broth over chicken in pan and add browned potatoes.
7. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, lower heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
8. Add frozen peas & fried onions to chicken and stir well.
9. Garnish with ghee, transfer to a serving dish and serve with Basmati rice or chapatis.