1 (1 lb.) pkg. frozen spinach
1 russet potato, cubed
1/4 pumpkin or 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 Oriental eggplant, cubed & tossed with salt
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
2 whole dried red chillies
1/2 tsp. panch phoron (cumin,fenugreek,nigella,black mustard & fennel seeds)
2 tsp. ginger paste
1 tsp. roasted panch phoron, ground
salt to taste
1/4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. ghee
- In 1 Tbsp. oil, fry eggplant cubes over medium-high heat until golden.
- Remove eggplant and set aside.
- In same saucepan, add remaining oil and sputter panch phoron seeds, chillies and bay leaves.
- Add potatoes, pumpkin/sweet potatoes and ginger paste and stir well.
- Cover and cook until vegetables are almost done.
- Add spinach, cover and cook until spinach is wilted and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Return reserved eggplant to saucepan and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Adjust salt to taste, sprinkle roasted panch phoron and sugar over top and stir.
- Garnish with ghee and transfer to serving dish.
- Serve with hot, cooked Basmati rice or chapatis.