The curry leaves in this pulao give it a South Indian flair.
- Bring rice to room temperature and use your fingers to crumble and fluff up the rice.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and sputter mustard, cardamoms and cinnamon sticks.
- Add onions, curry leaves, chilies, turmeric and cilantro stems.
- When onions turn translucent, add tomatoes, ginger paste and paprika.
- Cook until tomatoes disintegrate, add rice and toss together.
- Adjust salt to taste and stir-fry until each grain of rice is covered with oil and spices.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and cashews.
- Serve piping hot with raita or salad.