1 lb. leg of baby lamb, cut in bite-size pieces
2 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
1/4 tsp. Kashmiri mirch/paprika
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. coriander powder
1/2 tsp. cumin powder
2 russet potatoes, each cut in 12 pieces
1 large onion, peeled & cubed
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 large onion, diced
2 Roma/medium tomatoes, diced
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. shah jeera/cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
3 large black cardamoms/badi elaich
1 star anise
1 tsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. Bengali garam masala powder
1 tsp. Kashmiri mirch/paprika
salt to taste
2 Tbsp. deep fried onions
- Wash lamb and marinate with next 5 ingredients & some salt for an hour.
- Blanch cubed onions and garlic, drain & blend to a paste.
- Reserve water in which onions and garlic were blanched & keep on low simmer.
- Pour oil into pressure cooker over medium-high heat.
- Sputter shah jeera, cinnamon, cardamoms & star anise in oil.
- Add diced onions, stir-fry until translucent & add tomato paste.
- Stir well & add simmering water along with marinated lamb pieces.
- Fry lamb until its juices are released, cover cooker and bring to full pressure.
- Lower heat to medium and pressure cook for 20 minutes.
- Allow pressure to dissipate completely and remove cover.
- Stir well, add tomatoes, potatoes, garam masala powder, Kashmiri mirch & salt to taste.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for half an hour until potatoes soften.
- Transfer to serving dish and garnish with deep-fried onions.