|Mushrooms & Peas Pulao|
1/2 tsp. shah jeera or cumin seeds
- Wash rice, cover with water, soak for 30 minutes, drain & set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and sputter cumin seeds.
- Add sliced onions and stir-fry until onions turn translucent.
- Place palao/biryani spice mix in a tea strainer, sprinkle over onions in pan and stir well.
- The strainer will retain the whole garam masala bits so package these into a tea ball infuser or tie in cheese cloth.
- Stir-fry drained rice with the onions, garlic and spices until rice turns white. Do not allow rice to brown
- Add simmering water or vegetable broth, stir and drop the tea ball infuser into the pan.
- Bring contents of pan to a boil, cover and simmer over lowest heat for 25 minutes.
- Add peas tossed with tandoori masala to pan, fluff with fork and leave covered for half an hour.
- Remove tea ball infuser, transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fried onions before serving.