|Nga Hsi Pyan|
1 lb. tilapia fish fillets or any bone-in white fish, cut in bite-size pieces
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. turmeric
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 small onions, quartered
6 garlic cloves, halved
2 dried red chillies, deseeded & soaked
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp. paprika
Zest of 1 lime
6 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Cut each fish fillet in 2-3 pieces, pour marinade over fish and set aside.
- Bring one cup of water to a boil and blanch onion and garlic.
- Strain onion and garlic, keeping hot water on a low simmer for later use.
- Puree onion, garlic, chillies, tomatoes, paprika and lime zest.
- Heat oil over high heat and add pureed ingredients.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and simmer until oil resurfaces.
- Add the reserved hot water and bring to a boil.
- Add fish along with marinade and simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve over a bed of hot cooked rice or Ohn Htamin.