|Tilapia in Mustard Sauce|
1/2 tsp. nigella seeds/kalo jeera/kalonji
1 green chili, diced
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. red chili powder
1 large tomato, chopped
salt to taste
- Rub fish pieces with turmeric, salt and a Tbsp. mustard oil, and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix hot mustard powder, turmeric powder, chili powder and Kashmiri mirch in just enough water to form a paste and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Toss eggplant pieces with turmeric and salt and fry until golden brown.
- Heat oil in a skillet and sputter nigella seeds and diced chili.
- Add sliced onions and fry until translucent.
- Top with tomatoes, eggplant and fish pieces, cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Turn fish pieces over, dilute mustard paste with a cup of water and pour over fish and eggplant.
- Adjust salt to taste, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes, until tomatoes break down.
- Garnish with cilantro and whole chilies.