|Green Beans Posto|
4 Tbsp. white poppy seeds (posto)
1 cup Water
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
½ tsp. nigella seeds (kalo jeera/kalonji)
1 lb. green beans, sliced width-wise into small circles
2 tsp. ginger paste
Salt to taste
1 tsp. ghee or melted Butter
2 – 3 green chillies, left whole
1. Boil a cup of water in the microwave, pour over poppy seeds in a bowl and cover.
2. Puree poppy seeds and soaking water in a blender until it reaches the consistency of a thick sauce.
3. Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat and add nigella seeds.
4. When the seeds begin to sputter and sizzle, add vegetables, ginger paste and salt.
5. Lower heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
6. Adjust salt to taste and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add pureed poppy seeds and stir until well combined.
8. Cook for 2 minutes until sauce reduces and just coats the beans.
9. Garnish with ghee & whole chillies and transfer to a serving dish.
The green beans can be replaced with several other vegetables, such as eggplant, cauliflower, potatoes, zucchini, ridge gourd (jhinge), sweet potatoes, pumpkin, etc.