|Lau Chingri Shorshe Bata|
Lau Chingri is a favorite dish in our household. It is traditionally made with bottle gourd, but I prefer using chayote squash because it is more readily available and to me, they taste the same. To try something a little different, I added mustard paste and it tasted wonderful!
2 bottle gourd or 4 Chayote Squash, peeled & cut in strips
1 lb. medium size shrimp, shelled and deveined
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. nigella seeds (a.k.a. kalo jeera/kalonji)
2 tsp. ginger paste
2 Tbsp. mustard paste, strained (reserve pulp for side dish of spinach)
Salt to taste
1 tsp. ghee
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 Tbsp. water, ginger paste, cumin powder, sugar and salt & set aside.
- Toss shrimp with salt, saute lightly in 1 Tbsp. oil until pink and set aside.
- Sputter nigella seeds and diced chilies in remaining hot oil.
- Add ginger paste mixture, stir and simmer over medium heat until oil resurfaces.
- Add gourd/squash, tomatoes and salt to taste.
- Stir well, cover and simmer over medium heat until cooked.
- Add mustard paste and shrimp, stir and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Garnish with green chilies, cilantro and ghee.
- Remove from heat and serve as a side dish with hot rice or chapatis.