|Shukto with Crab Paste|
The bitterness of the bitter melon is made more palatable with the addition of crab or shrimp paste. The cauliflower this time was really fresh and the outer leaves and stems were begging to be used, so I added them to this dish.
2 Chinese bitter melons or 3 ucchay, deseeded and diced
1 russet potato, peeled and diced
2 Oriental eggplants, chopped and tossed with salt
4 Tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. radhuni (wild celery seeds)
2 tsp. ginger paste
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
3 sliced green chillies
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. ghee
- Toss eggplants with salt and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and sputter radhuni.
- Add onions and fry until translucent.
- Add russet and sweet potatoes, salt and ginger paste.
- Stir well and cook over medium heat until potatoes are partly cooked.
- Add tomatoes, bitter melon, cauliflower leaves, salted eggplant, and crab paste, stir well, cover and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in sugar & green chilies, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro & ghee.