|Dadu's Ceylon Chicken Curry|
Sunday, April 06, 2014
Minty Chicken Curry in Yogurt Sauce
Mum used to make this scrumptious recipe of Dadu’s (Grandfather). He was a
gourmet cook and loved International cuisine as much as Baangal (East Bengali) food. The combination of mint, cilantro and yogurt gives this chicken curry a very unique flavour.
2 lb. chicken, cut into bite size pieces
1 cup Greek or 'hung' yogurt
1 bunch coriander/cilantro leaves with stems
1 bunch mint leaves with tender tems
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
Leaves of 1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp. garam masala powder
Salt to taste
4 Tbsp. crisply fried onions
2 heaped tsp. garlic paste
1½ tsp. ginger paste
¼ tsp. black mustard seeds
3 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
4 hot chilli peppers, sliced
1. Chop cilantro and mint and blend to a smooth paste.
2. Marinate chicken with salt, yogurt, coriander-mint paste, crushed fried onions, garlic paste, ginger paste and 2 Tbsp. oil for 30 minutes.
3. Heat remaining oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, chilli peppers, cloves,
cardamom, cinnamon and curry leaves.
4. As soon as mustard seeds start to sputter, add chicken & stir thoroughly.
5. Lower heat, cover and simmer chicken for 20 minutes until cooked.
6. Sprinkle with garam masala powder and serve with steamed Basmati rice or Indian bread.