|Alu Potol Posto|
Alu Posto is a favourite side dish served with Bengali meals. Alu Potol Posto can be eaten with hot, steamed basmati rice or with chapatis or parathas.
25-30 potols/pointed gourd, slit vertically in quarters
1/2 cup white poppy seeds, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes
2 green chilies, diced
salt to taste
1 large onion, minced
1 Tbsp. ginger paste
1/4 tsp. nigella or kalonji or kalo jeera seeds
2 Tbsp. mustard or vegetable oil
salt and sugar to taste
1 Tbsp. ghee
- Boil half a cup of water and soak poppy seeds for half an hour.
- Heat half of the oil over medium-high heat, brown potol and potatoes and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat and sputter nigella seeds and onions.
- Add ginger paste, salt to taste, potol and potatoes, stir and cook until tender.
- Blend poppy seeds along with water in which they were soaked, salt to taste and diced green chilies.
- Add poppy seed paste and adjust salt & sugar to taste.
- Stir and simmer until gravy evaporates and vegetables are cooked.
- Garnish with ghee and serve with hot cooked rice.