|Chingri Maacher Malai Curry|
|First Cooking of Shrimp|
1/4 cup coconut cream or cream from top half of coconut milk can
- Remove shell from shrimp tails, if necessary, and wash.
- Boil a cup of water in a saucepan and blanch quartered onions and garlic.
- Drain, reserving blanching liquid for gravy, and keeping it on a low simmer.
- Blend onions and garlic to a paste with tomatoes and remaining ingredients except shrimp, fennel seeds, sliced onions and cilantro.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and temper with fennel seeds.
- When the fennel seeds begin sputtering, add sliced onions and stir-fry until translucent.
- Pour blended paste over stir-fried onions, lower heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Tip shrimp into skillet, stir to coat with sauce, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.
- Remove shrimp from skillet, add simmering blanching liquid and continue to simmer sauce until it's thick and reaches desired consistency.
- Add coconut cream and stir, return shrimp to skillet and stir again.
- Adjust salt to taste and continue simmering for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro.