Using oatmeal instead of flour for pancakes and making them savoury is a great alternative for those of us who, for medical reasons, are forced to watch our carbohydrate intake. Utthappam, a South Indian breakfast delicacy, are savoury pancakes made with fermented rice and urad dal or lentils.
- Grind oatmeal to a fine flour using a food processor or blender.
- Combine all ingredients, except oil, in a mixing bowl adding as much water as needed to make a batter of pancake consistency.
- Heat a cast-iron omelette pan with a touch of oil over medium heat.
- Pour a generous ladle of batter into the pan, swirl around and cook until small bubbles appear on the surface and burst.
- Flip over and cook the other side.
- Garnish with diced tomatoes and cilantro and serve right away with tamarind or mint chutney.