- Marinate meat/chicken in next 4 ingredients for at least 2 hours or overnight and bring to room temperature.
- Cook lentils with water, hot peppers, turmeric and salt to taste & set aside.
- Heat 4 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat and sputter cinnamon, star anise and shah jeera.
- Add onions and stir-fry until translucent.
- Add marinated chicken and stir-fry until chicken is golden brown.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and tagine spices and stir-fry until oil resurfaces.
- Pour lentils over chicken and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fried onions.