|Alu Deem Posto|
|Eggs are hard-boiled, peeled and browned|
|Potato wedges are peeled, boiled & browned|
|Nigella seeds are tempered, onions & ginger fried|
|Potatoes are returned to skillet|
|Boiling water & eggs added & simmered |
until potatoes are cooked
|Poppy seed paste is added|
|Simmered for 5 minutes|
with mustard oil and green chilies
|Transferred to serving dish |
and garnished with deep-fried onions
- Soak posto in 1 cup boiling water and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Place eggs in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Boil eggs for 10 minutes and set aside. When cool enough to handle, peel and make vertical slits around the egg so sauce can penetrate.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 6 pieces each.
- Blend poppy seeds and soaking water with diced chilies and salt until it forms a thick paste.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil over medium-high heat and fry eggs until golden brown.
- Remove eggs and fry potatoes until golden brown.
- Remove potatoes from skillet and heat remaining vegetable oil.
- Sputter nigella seeds and slit green chilies until skin chars.
- Remove chilies from oil and set aside.
- Stir-fry onions, some salt and ginger until onions turn translucent.
- Return potates to skillet, stir, cover and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining boiling water along with the eggs and simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Pour posto into skillet, stir and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Pour mustard oil around the edges and return green chilies to skillet.
- Transfer to serving dish, garnish with birista and serve with steamed Basmati rice or chapatis.