|Tyangra Maach er Mouri Bata Jhol|
1 lb. baby catfish/tyangra maach, cleaned and gutted
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. fennel seeds
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 Tbsp. ginger paste
½ tsp. turmeric
1 Tbsp. Kashmiri mirch or chili powder
2 + 1 Tbsp. fennel seeds, roasted and ground to a fine powder
½ tsp. sugar
salt to taste
4 green chilies, slit
1. Wash fish well, apply salt & turmeric to fish and marinate for half an hour.
3. Stir remaining 1 Tbsp. fennel powder and sugar with 2 Tbsp. water and set aside.
4. In a skillet over medium-high heat, fry fish in oil on both sides and set aside.
5. In the same oil, fry fennel seeds until they sputter, then add the tomatoes.
6. Cook tomatoes with 1st batch of fennel seed paste until tomatoes break down.
7. Add a cup of boiling water in 4 batches, stirring well after each addition.