|Cabbage with Scrambled Eggs|
This stir-fried cabbage dish is one that I associate with Mum's loving and nurturing nature. Cabbage is totally tasteless on its own, but is transformed when stir-fried until crisp, flavoured with the zing of black pepper powder and the umami of fish sauce. Add eggs into the mix and it assumes an unforgettable contrast in texture from the crispness of the cabbage to the creaminess of the scrambled eggs.
|Cut a head of cabbage in quarters, |
then slice each quarter and dice.
- Dice a head of cabbage as shown above.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and stir-fry onions, garlic and chilies until onions turn translucent. Do not brown.
- Add cabbage and pepper and stir-fry just until cabbage softens but is still crisp.
- Season with fish sauce and salt to taste.
- Make a well in the center and melt butter, add beaten eggs and allow to set.
- While the eggs are still runny, stir into the cabbage and remove from heat.
- Cover and set aside for at least 5 minutes before serving over a bed of rice.