|Coconut Chicken Soup|
|Lunch is Ready!|
|My bowl of Ohno Khauk Swe|
2 Tbsp. ginger, chopped
Sliced yellow onion, soaked in ice water & drained
- Cut chicken thighs into serving pieces; marinate in fish sauce and some oil for 20 minutes.
- Boil chopped onions and garlic cloves in a cup of water until translucent. Drain and reserve the liquid.
- In a blender, process 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil, garlic, boiled onion, ginger and shrimp paste.
- Heat remaining oil and fry chicken pieces until they change color. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add blended ingredients along with the cream that settles on top of the coconut milk in the 2 cans.
- Add ground chicken and fry until lightly browned.
- Add chili powder, paprika, salt, light coconut milk and reserved liquid from boiled onions.
- Simmer until ground chicken is tender; add a cup of simmering chicken broth if mixture becomes too dry.
- Heat thick coconut milk and the rest of the chicken broth in the microwave.
- Add thick coconut milk to the ground chicken in saucepan, bring slowly to a boil, stirring constantly to prevent mixture from curdling.
- Add fried chicken pieces, along with pearl onions and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir cooked red lentils into soup and cook for a further 5 minutes uncovered. There should be lots of gravy.
- Just before serving, cook noodles in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, about 6 minutes.
- Pour cold water into pan to stop noodles from further cooking, and drain in a colander.
- Mix some oil into the noodles and serve in a large bowl, the chicken soup in a separate bowl along with the garnishes.