|Tengra Maach Alu Bori|
|Tilapia Maach Alu Bori|
6-8 whole or filleted fish pieces, tossed with salt and turmeric
1 russet potato, cut in 2" lengths
2 medium tomatoes, quartered
1 cup Bori ( dried lentil dumpling)
2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. mustard oil for frying and garnishing, respectively
1/4 tsp. nigella seeds (kalonji/kalojeera)
1 Tbsp. cumin/jeera seeds, soaked in hot water and ground to a paste
1 Tbsp. ginger paste
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. Kashmiri mirch, paprika or red chili powder
salt to taste
2 cups water, simmering
1 jalapeno pepper or 4 green chilies, sliced
- Clean fish, toss with salt and turmeric, fry till golden brown and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat rest of oil, fry boris till golden brown and set aside.
- Soak boris in a cup of water until ready to use.
- In the same pan, sputter nigella seeds, add potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Kashmiri mirch and cumin powder.
- Stir-fry until oil resurfaces, add simmering water along with soaked boris and fish.
- Adjust salt to taste, cover and simmer over medium-low heat until potatoes are soft and oil resurfaces.
- Remove from heat and garnish with green chilies.