|Red Lentils with Onions & Tomatoes|
Wednesday, January 01, 2014
Masoor Dal with Onions & Tomatoes
1 cup masoor dal (red lentils), rinsed & soaked
¼ tsp. turmeric
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
½ tsp. nigella seeds (kalonji/kalo jeera)
2 green chilies, slit
1 tsp. diced garlic
Salt to taste
1 medium tomato, diced
¼ tsp. sugar
1 tsp. ghee
1. Wash lentils until water runs clear and soak for ½ hour.
2. Drain lentils, add 2 cups water & turmeric and cook until tender.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add nigella seeds.
4. When seeds start to sizzle add green chillies and fry until skins blister.
5. Remove chillies from pan and set aside.
6. To the same pan, add tomatoes & simmer until tomatoes break down.
7. Add lentils, onions & sugar, adjust salt to taste and bring back to a boil.
8. Garnish with ghee, reserved green chilies and cilantro.
Transfer to a serving dish and serve with steamed rice or tortillas.