|Pan-Fried Fish Cakes|
|Oven-Baked Fish Cakes|
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. tuna fish in water
or 1 lb. poached tilapia, flaked
1 large russet potato, peeled & cubed
1 large onion, diced
1" fresh ginger, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
salt to taste
1 egg beaten with 1 tsp. water
1 cup bread crumbs
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil for step 3
4-6 Tbsp. vegetable oil for step 11
- Boil potatoes for 20 minutes, drain and mash with salt.
- Crumble fish into tiny pieces.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion, ginger, garlic, salt, mint and cilantro until onions soften.
- Add flaked fish and stir-fry until thoroughly incorporated.
- Remove from heat and mix well with mashed potatoes.
- Add 2 Tbsp. bread crumbs to stiffen the fish mixture.
- Form fish and potato mixture into balls with a large ice-cream scoop.
- Dip in beaten egg & coat with bread crumbs.
- Shape into flat, circular cakes and set aside.
- Coat frying pan with remaining oil and place over medium heat.
- Pan-fry fish cakes until a toasty golden brown.
- Alternatively, fish cakes can be brushed with oil & baked at 350°F until golden brown.