|Begun Chingri Shorshe Bata|
Tuesday, October 08, 2013
Eggplant & Shrimp in Mustard Sauce
4 Oriental eggplant, cut in half lengthwise & sliced
1 russet potato, cubed
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
15-20 medium shrimp, peeled, shelled and deveined
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
½ tsp. nigella seeds (kalo jeera/kalonji)
2 tsp. ginger paste
2 tsp. course-ground Dijon mustard
Salt to taste
2–3 hot green chillies, left whole
1. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a pan over medium-high heat, fry shrimp until pink and remove.
2. Add remaining oil to same pan and heat along with nigella seeds.
3. When nigella seeds begin to sputter and sizzle, add first three ingredients, ginger paste and salt.
4. Lower heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
5. Add shrimp, adjust salt to taste and course-ground mustard.
6. Cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are coated with sauce.
7. Garnish with whole chilies and transfer to a serving dish.
The eggplants can be replaced with several other vegetables, such as green beans, cauliflower, potatoes, zucchini, ridge gourd (jhinge), sweet potatoes, pumpkin, etc.