|GHOOGNI with sweet potatoes|
A variation of Chana Masala
1 (14 oz.) can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 russet potato, peeled and diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cinnamon stick
4 cardamom pods
3 bay leaves
1 medium onion, chopped, blanched and puréed
1 Tbsp. garlic paste
2 Tbsp. ginger paste
2 Tbsp. tomato purée
2 Tbsp. Greek or plain yogurt
1 tsp. Shan Chana Masala powder
1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and chopped
1/4 tsp. garam masala powder
1 tsp. ghee
1. Cook sweet and russet potatoes in boiling, salted water for 15 minutes.
2. Drain potatoes and reserve 1½ cups boiling water or simmer 1½ cups vegetable stock.
3. Whip Gravy ingredients together and set aside.
4. Microwave oil on high for 2 minutes.
5. Add Tempering ingredients and cook on high for another 2 minutes.
6. Add whipped Gravy ingredients, stir and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
7. Add boiling water or hot vegetable stock to gravy and stir.
8. Add potatoes along with chickpeas, stir well and microwave on high for another 2 minutes.
9. Garnish with ghee & garam masala powder, stir and sprinkle cilantro and jalapeno peppers on top before serving.