1 cup mung dal, washed & soaked in hot water
4 Tbsp. Greek yogurt, or any yogurt on hand
salt to taste
1 Tbsp. oil
½ tsp. black mustard seeds
½ tsp. cumin seeds
7 to 8 curry leaves
2 tsp. garlic paste
1 tsp. ginger paste
2 Tbsp. tomato puree
¼ tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. Kashmiri mirch powder
2 tsp. coriander-cumin powder
1 tsp. ghee
2 Tbsp. garlic chives or cilantro, chopped
1. Combine dal with hot water and cook until done.
2. Whip yogurt with salt and stir into dal.
3. Heat oil over medium-high heat and temper mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves until seeds pop.
4. Add ginger and garlic pastes, tomato puree, turmeric, Kashmiri mirch & coriander-cumin powder.
5. Stir well and cook until oil resurfaces.
6. Pour dal into pan, adjust salt to taste and bring to a boil.
7. Garnish with ghee and chives/cilantro.