|Basa Maach-er Doi Maach|
Reduce and keep the heat on low before adding yogurt to the pan. Do not allow the yogurt sauce to boil as this may cause it to separate or curdle.
1 lb. Basa fillets (or Orange Roughy, Halibut or Tilapia)
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cinnamon stick
¼ tsp. cumin seeds or Shah Jeera
1 large onion, sliced
1 tsp. ginger paste
2 tsp. Hunt’s tomato sauce or tomato puree
2 tsp. chopped cilantro (optional)
2-3 green chilies, stem removed and slit
Salt to taste
- Cut fish into large pieces, apply salt and set aside.
- Stir yogurt into a smooth paste & set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat & add cinnamon, star anise and cumin.
- When cumin seeds begin to sputter, add onions & fry until translucent.
- Add tomato, chili powder, ginger & garlic pastes and stir well.
- Cook for 5 minutes until oil resurfaces and add fish pieces.
- Brown fish on one side, turn over and brown other side.
- Add red pepper slices & turn heat down to low.
- Pour yogurt into a well in the center of the pan.
- Stir gently to combine yogurt with gravy, basting the fish with sauce.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes,
- Adjust salt to taste and garnish with cilantro & chilies.
- Transfer to serving dish & enjoy with Basmati rice.