2 cans garbanzo beans
1 russet potato, diced
3 oz. tomato puree (Hunt's tomato sauce)
1 large onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. ginger paste
7 oz. thick coconut milk
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1/2 tsp. coriander powder
1/4 tsp. cumin powder
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped and de-seeded, if desired)
1 tsp. ghee
salt to taste
- Drain garbanzo beans. Wash in several changes of cold water.
- Boil chopped onions in 1/2 cup water, drain onions and place in blender along with ginger paste, pureed tomatoes and coconut milk. Blend to a thick paste.
- Heat a saute pan over high heat, add vegetable oil and sputter cumin seeds, star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Stir in cumin & coriander powder and fry until it browns.
- Add blended mixture. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garbanzo beans and diced potatoes.
- Saute beans, potatoes and blended mixture until oil resurfaces and potatoes are cooked.
- If it sticks to the bottom of the pan, add some hot water. Adjust salt to taste.
- Stir in lime juice and garnish with chopped peppers, cilantro and ghee.
- Serve with heated tortillas or parathas.