This dish combines a few of my favorite ingredients. It turned out to be more delicious than expected. The minced meat was first cooked with all the seasonings and coconut milk in a pressure cooker, combined with shredded cabbage and then cooked until dry. It's perfect served on a bed of rice, but would go well with chapatis, as well.
1 lb. minced chicken, beef or lamb
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cinnamon stick
3-4 big, black cardamoms
2 star anise
3 large onions, minced
1 green chili, minced
1 large tomato, diced
2 tsp. garlic paste
1 tsp. ginger paste
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. paprika/Kashmiri mirch
1/2 tsp. garam masala powder
1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk
1 head of cabbage, quartered and finely sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and stir-fry minced chicken until no longer pink.
- Add remaining ingredients, except the last two ingredients, and stir-fry until oil resurfaces.
- Add coconut milk, stir well, cover and cook under pressure for 20 minutes.
- Remove pressure cooker from heat and allow to de-pressurize naturally.
- Remove pressure cooker cover and add shredded cabbage.
- Stir well to combine cabbage with minced meat and sauce.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until cabbage cooks and liquids are absorbed, for about 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice or chapatis.