|Green Beans Shorshe Bata|
A super speedy alternative to making mustard paste at home is to use hot mustard powder dissolved in water that is served in Chinese restaurants. The traditional method is to soak black mustard seeds in water overnight and grind it to a smooth paste the next day.
These green beans were blanched in boiling water for 2 minutes, then stir-fried with diced potatoes and mustard sauce. Mustard powder needs to dissolve in water and set aside for at least 15 minutes to achieve maximum pungency. It's an easy side dish to serve with steamed rice or chapatis/tortillas.
1 lb. green beans, cut in 1" lengths
- Stir hot mustard powder with water and set aside for 15-20 minutes
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and sputter nigella seeds green chilies.
- Add onions and stir-fry until onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and ginger paste and simmer until oil resurfaces.
- Stir in beans and salt, cover and cook until beans are done.
- Add mustard paste over green beans and mix well to coat beans.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, adjust salt to taste and serve with steamed rice or chapatis/tortillas.