|Begun Alu Posto|
White poppy seeds, soaked in boiling water and ground with salt until thick and creamy is best served for lunch because it induces a restful afternoon nap. I love posto stir-fried with any vegetable. Add shrimp to it for boosted flavour and call it a main dish.
4 big Japanese eggplants, cut in chunks
1 russet potato, peeled and cut in chunks
1/2 cup white poppy seeds, soaked in boiling water until cool
5 Tbsp. mustard/vegetable oil
3-4 whole dried red chilies, de-seeded
1/4 tsp. nigella seeds/kalo jeera/kalonji
1 + 1 green chilies, minced
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. Kashmiri mirch/paprika
1 large onion, minced
1 Tbsp. ginger paste
salt to taste
1/4 tsp. sugar or to taste
1 cup hot water
cilantro, minced for garnish
2 green chilies, sliced for garnish
- Blend poppy seeds with soaking liquid, 1 minced green chili and salt until thick & creamy; set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet and sputter nigella seeds, dried red chilies, 1 minced green chili, minced onion and stir-fry until onions are translucent.
- Add ginger paste, turmeric powder and paprika, sugar and salt to taste.
- Fry potatoes in this mixture until cooked.
- Add eggplants, some hot water, cover and cook until eggplants soften.
- Pour white poppy seed paste over eggplants along with hot water and stir well.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and sliced green chilies.