1 lb. fish pieces
2 Tbsp. Coleman's mustard powder, dissolved in 1/4 cup water for 1/2 hour
2 large onions, sliced in crescents
1 large tomato, diced
2-3 green chilies, sliced
4 Tbsp. mustard or vegetable oil
1/4 tsp. nigella seeds (kalonji/kalo jeera)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup simmering water
salt & sugar to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sputter nigella seeds and green chilies.
- Layer onions over bottom of skillet and place fish over onions.
- Cover and leave for 3 minutes, flip fish over to other side.
- Top with tomatoes, cover and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Pour dissolved mustard over fish and stir gently, making sure fish pieces remain intact.
- Pour simmering water around edges of skillet, adjust salt & sugar to taste and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, garnish with cilantro and more green chilies, if desired, and sprinkle with a tablespoon of raw mustard oil.