1/2 tsp. white pepper powder
- Soak poppy seeds in hot water for an hour.
- Blanch onions and garlic in boiling water for 2-3 minutes and strain.
- Whip yogurt until fluffy and set aside.
- Strain poppy seeds and blend until thick and smooth.
- Add yogurt, onions, garlic, ginger paste, white pepper, kewra water & blend, just until combined.
- Marinate chicken in blended paste for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and sputter cumin seeds, cinnamon, cardamom and star anise.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add marinated chicken, cover and simmer.
- After about 30 minutes, when chicken is tender, adjust salt and sugar.
- Garnish with cilantro, slit green chilies and garam masala powder.
- Serve with hot rice or chapatis.