- Marinate chicken in next 5 ingredients overnight in refrigerator.
- Take chicken out of refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sputter fennel seeds, cinnamon sticks, black cardamoms and stir-fry onions until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and simmer until oil floats to the surface.
- Pour marinated chicken into skillet and coat with onions and tomatoes.
- Add potatoes and ground fennel to skillet and stir well.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are cooked.
- Garnish with cilantro and chilies & serve with hot rice or chapatis.