|Chayote Squash with Shrimp|
This dish reminds me of Mum who made this often with fresh shrimp. To speed up the cooking process, I pressure cooked this dish which cooked the squash in ten minutes. The shrimp was added at the tail-end of the cooking process to prevent over-cooking.
5 chayote squash, peeled and cubed
8 oz. salad or baby shrimp
1 cup water
1 large onion, minced
1 large tomato, minced
1 tsp. garlic paste
1/2 tsp. shrimp sauce or ngapi
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. Kashmiri mirch or paprika
1 green chili, minced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
salt to taste
- Heat oil in pressure cooker, add paprika, onions, garlic, chili and tomatoes.
- Stir-fry until tomatoes break down, add shrimp sauce & simmer until oil resurfaces.
- Add squash along with water and stir well.
- Cover pressure cooker, bring to full pressure and cook for 10 minutes.
- Allow pressure to dissipate completely before opening lid of pressure cooker.
- Add salad shrimp, adjust salt to taste and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with steamed Basmati or any long-grain rice.