- Wash mung dal in several changes of water and soak in warm water for half an hour.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, add soaked and drained dal and boil until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan and fry shah jeera till seeds sputter.
- Add cauliflower florets, top with ginger paste and turmeric.
- Stir till everything is well combined and cook on medium heat until cauliflower is golden brown and soft.
- Pour cooked dal over cauliflower, add kasuri methi and 1/2 cup hot water.
- Bring dal back to a boil, simmer for 10-15 minutes and adjust salt to taste.
- Garnish with ghee and green chillies and serve with hot basmati rice, naan or tortilla.
Sunday, June 08, 2014
Mung Dal with Cauliflower Garnished with Dried Fenugreek Leaves
I took one of Mum's recipes that was served when we had guests for dinner and took it up a notch with the addition of dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi). This gives a depth of flavour to the lentils that is hard to resist!
1 cup mung dal
1 cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces with stems attached
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. ginger paste
½ tsp. shah jeera or jeera/cumin seeds
½ tsp. turmeric powder
2 Tbsp. kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
salt to taste
1 tsp. ghee (clarified butter)
2-4 green chillies, slit in half