|Kaacha Mooger Dal Aar Shaak|
A quick and easy lentil dish using mung beans and a package of frozen spinach. It took exactly 20 minutes to prepare on the stove top.
1 cup mung bean lentils, rinsed and drained
1 (8 oz.) pkg. frozen, chopped spinach
1 onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 Roma tomato, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 tsp. nigella/kalonji/kalo jeera seeds
salt to taste
1/4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. ghee
- Cook lentils in 3 cups water and season with salt to taste.
- Add tomatoes and keep on a low simmer.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and sputter nigella seeds.
- Add onion, pepper and garlic & fry until onions are translucent.
- Add spinach and stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Pour lentils over onions and simmer until spinach is cooked.
- Adjust salt to taste, add sugar and stir well.