4-6 oriental eggplants, cubed
*8 oz. fried anchovies (from Korean store)
2 medium onions, quartered
6 garlic cloves, halved
2 dried red chillies, soaked
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp. paprika or Kashmiri mirch
1/8 tsp. turmeric
1 Tbsp. fish sauce (optional)
6 Tbsp. vegetable oil
Green onions or Cilantro, chopped
1. Sprinkle salt over eggplants in a colander and set aside.
2. Blanch onions and garlic in a cup of boiling water, strain and set hot water aside.
3. Puree all ingredients except eggplants, anchovies, cilantro and oil.
5. Heat oil over high heat and add pureed ingredients.
6. Simmer over medium-low heat until oil resurfaces.
7. Add reserved hot water and bring to a brisk boil.
8. Simmer gravy for 5 minutes and add eggplants & anchovies to saucepan.
9. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until all the moisture has evaporated and eggplants are cooked.
11. Adjust salt to taste and remove from heat.
12. Garnish with green onions or cilantro and serve with hot cooked rice.
*The Korean fried anchovies can be replaced with any small dried fish or, even better, a can of anchovies in olive oil.
This recipe was shared on